Sunday, December 11, 2011

Dance is the hidden language of the soul

It is hard to explain in words to others what dance means to me. Especially to those who don't share my passion. I have been dancing since I was 7 years old. I started ballroom at 14. To try and count the hours practicing and performing since then is simply impossible. But it has been no small investment as far as time, money, mentally or emotionally is concerned. I can't tell you how many tears I've shed, how many injuries I've acquired, and how many glorious memories I've had. I've been broken down and built up time after time. I've lost, I've won but it is more often in losing than in winning that valuable lessons have been taught. I've learned truly be a excellent team member. Being on team you learn to be creative and to work quickly always with a smile on your face because, as we are constantly reminded by our coach, we represent much more than ourselves.

My dancing career is coming to an end soon when compared with all the years I have put in. I will never forget the memories and the lessons learned. This past year I have been dancing with Jared Kelson and for the first time I feel like my hard work is actually paying off. We have competed in a few competitions. The most recent was The Dancesport Championships held here at BYU in November. We competed in four events and we exhausted by the end of it. In Ballroom we placed 2nd in pre-champ Ballroom, and made it to the semi in Amateur. In Smooth we shocked ourselves with how well we did and got 1st in pre-champ and got 3rd in Amateur.

So now to the most exciting part... DRESSES! I got a brand new standard gown that is beautiful and even better than the design I created. I had a lady out of LA make it. Svetlana makes dresses for a lot of professionals and seriously I have never seen her make an ugly dress.

The purple one is mine and the silver one belongs to Jen Gulbransen.




2 comments: